A man wielding a knife has been arrested outside of Buckingham Palace moments before the Queen drove past on her way to St Paul’s Cathedral. Dramatic pictures show police wrestling the man to the ground after they responded to reports that he was brandishing a knife outside of the palace. The police have said that do not believe the incident to be terror-related.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan police said:
“Police arrested a man at the Mall, SW1, in possession of a knife. Patrolling officers detained and arrested the man at 10.40am today. No one was injured and a knife was recovered. The man has been taken to a central London police station. It is not believed to be terror-related.”
The incident comes two days after the attack in Manchester that raised the UK’s terror threat level to “critical”. The Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace has been cancelled today in the wake of the Manchester bombing as police are redeployed amid fears the attacker was part of a terror cell preparing more attacks.
The Manchester bombing was carried out by a lone suicide bomber, named as 22-year- Salam Abedi, at Manchester Arena at 10:30pm on Monday night. The current death toll stands at 22 with 59 injured. It is believed highly likely that Abedi did not act alone and received assistance from others. Investigators are hunting down his possible co-conspirators and three men have been arrested in connection with the suicide bombing.
Greater Manchester Police said the arrests were made in the south of the city, where a 23-year-old suspect was arrested in connection with Abedi’s bombing on Tuesday. “Three police warrants were executed in south Manchester in connection to the ongoing investigation,” a spokesperson said. They have continued to raid properties across Manchester.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd has confirmed that Abedi returned from Libya recently and that the nature of his attack does point to the probability that he received support. “It was more sophisticated than some of the horrific events that we have seen in the past or in other parts of Europe so people are reasonably wondering whether he did this on his own,” she told the BBC.
Abedi used an improvised bomb made from homemade explosives and nails packed into a suitcase. This is the same method that ISIS have used in their bombings at Brussels Airport and Molenbeek metro station last year. ISIS claimed a “soldier of the caliphate” carried out the attack in a statement threatening further atrocities against “crusaders”.
As a result the terror level has been raised to “critical” and another attack is thought to be imminent. Up to 3,800 soldiers have been deployed to patrol the UK in order to allow police officers to efficiently carry out the investigation. Monday’s attack has been deemed the UK’s worst since London’s 7/7 attacks in 2005, in which 56 people were killed, including the four perpetrators.
The police have launched an appeal for any information that may be important to their investigation. If you have any information about the attack you should call the anti-terror hotline on 0800 789321.
The post Man Arrested Weilding Knife Near Buckingham Palace appeared first on Viral Thread.